Thursday, November 20, 2008

my mental bail-out


i decided i need a mental stimulus package.  and have decided to bail myself out by not attending either of my ENG courses today.  (for which i will, assuredly, pay for dearly within the next few weeks)  i decided though, that sitting with a puppy in nothing but pjs was a much nicer alternative.  

i'm also listening to 7 different artists sing Ave Maria which happens to be my favorite catholic song of all time.  my particular favorite, is a version done by Dolores O'Riordan and Luciano Pavarotti, though, it doesn't really contain the full lyrics.  (aside- she is amazingly beautiful, i always just thought of her with REALLY short hair, but holy simoleons she's a hottie!)

anyhow.  this song brings up my point.  the catholic church.  of which i was raised in.  i have so many fundamental issues with the church, but there are some very deep rooted ideas in it that i hold dearly to my heart.  

for example!  the idea of sanctification of Mary.  i mean come ON!  that is pretty much the coolest thing ever, placing so much emphasis on the woman, who is the mother of all life.  why can't they continue this love of woman and include her in the clergy?!  i mean, sure, there are nuns and sisters, but that is quite limited.  and i feel it pushes an anti-woman ideal onto the church.  

(my favorite part of catholicism is that they believe in the bodily assumption of mary into heaven - just like jesus - which places so much importance on her!)

alright alright, enough of my dogmatic spiel.  it's time to get something to drink.  
(ps. i don't know if i can ever reconcile my differences with the church, and will probably remain Jewish for the rest of my life) -- most notably because i do not believe that jesus was the messiah, i just like the theatrics/stories of the catholic church.  (and the music, and the incense, and going to mass with dianne)  :)

1 comment:

riot said...

When you come to NYC, we will attend mass at my church, St. Mary the Virgin, Times Square. It's not Catholic, but it's the highest Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian parish in the Americas, which means it has even more and better music, incense, and ritual than the RC church now retains.